Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Blessed with a burden

Just got back from a rather fruitful day- work life balance at the right pace.
Started my morning early cos' I grabbed a lift from V on his way to work to town, and carried on with a train ride to City Hall where I had my leisurely coffee and toast at City Link. Popped by at HMV for a short while and picked up Gwen Stefani's latest album. Must have been ages since I last visited a CD store. Exceptionally happy cos' I've been wanting to get the album and it was going at a special price of $11.95. Like the song, "The Sweet Escape"- just makes you wanna bop around.
Later went over to Suntec to help LP with their press conference where they announced the Top 15 finalists. I played the role of a roving reporter and had a cameraman follow me around while I interviewed the MD and some of the finalists.
After the event, Cheryl, Wing, Deon and I went to New York, New York at City Link and grabbed a hearty lunch- American food, so not the most healthy!
Wanted to catch the movie, "Freedom Writers" which was showing at The Cathay at 3.05pm, but I was one hour too early, so I went over to Plaza Singapura- where there was a book bazaar by Carrefourre and I picked up a travel book on Rome for 5 buckaroos. Comes with a map too! Haha! Couldn't resist a good bargain.
Caught the show- a bit typical- but there were some redeeming moments, plus I do like Hilary Swank. I think she's a great actress. In one scene, when she was wrecked with self-doubt about her purpose as a teacher, her on-screen dad said, "my child, you've been blessed with a burden and I envy you for that."
A true story, the teacher, Erin worked 2 extra jobs as a sales assistant and a hotel concierge to pay for books and trips to encourage and educate her students- whom the school have already given up hope on. She gave all she could- cos' when she gave- that was when she felt most alive.
Erin not only impacted the lives of the students, but also their various culture and their future generations to come.
Now, how many people can lay claim to that?

No comments: