Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Hunchback of Notre Dame at Speed of a Tortoise

My very kind hubby accidentally switched off my computer without saving my drafted blog, so here I am starting from scratch again. Hope I remember the gist of what I wrote last nite in my groggy state.
Anyways, it's Day 3 since my laparoscopy surgery on Monday and thankfully, I'm on the road to recovery although as my header reads, I still walk like "hunchback of notre dame at a speed of a tortoise."
Still need supervision around the house and thank God for Mom! Her presence and help is so reassuring!
A bit about my surgery, I had 3 punctured wounds and incision at the bottom (ouchy!) and doc chen removed a 4cm polyp and cleaned my menses blood that was sticking to my uterus lining. I'm gonna see him this evening to get my stitches removed. Hope it'll be minimal discomfort.
My surgery required general anaesthesia which was done by doc ernest lim- good guy. professional with good EQ.
We talked abt the weather, and i was sharing with him that the anaesthesia liquid had a smell- he asked how it smelled and mentioned there was lots of protein in it (that i'm not sure if he was pulling my leg) and he gave me options like- whether it smelled like meat, beef, soya bean, etc, and i concluded by saying, SOYA BEAN! before I konked out into deep sleep. (He must think I'm a wacko.)
The next moment before I knew it, I was wheeled out of the OT in my groggy and extremely cold state. I was told to wiggle my toes and my hands and legs were so limp and cold, I wanted someone there desperate to hold my hands. The nurse was quite reassuring, got me a blanket and told me she was waiting for another nurse to push me back to the ward.
The wait was excruciating- not because I was in any pain, but I felt extremely helpless and in need of the human touch. Couldn't wait to see my mom who was waiting for me outside the OT.
I was wheeled out around 3.45pm, and mom and aunt nurse were there to help me ease in.
Thankfully, very minimal nausea and sore throat- which I was told could be the side effects from the GA.
But no one warned me that going to the toilet to clear my pee would take 45 mins and it truly felt like I was peeing blood. Every exertion hurt!
Other side effects included cramping at the rib cage (still with me at Day 3- irk!) and discomfort when going to the toilet.
Feeling much better today though- largely because I had a good shower, a good dump and a good rest. Hee!
Enuff info for now. :)

No comments: